Monday, June 18, 2012

A Little Fellow’s Dad

I may never be as clever as my neighbor down the street,
I may never be as wealthy as some other men I meet;
I may never have the glory that some other men had,
But I’ve got to be successful as a little fellow’s dad.

There are certain dreams I cherish that I’d like to see come true,
There are things I would accomplish when my working time is through;
But the task my heart is set on is to guide this little lad,
And to make myself successful as the little fellow’s dad.

It is that one job I dream of, it’s the task I think of most,
If I’d fail that growing youngster I’d have nothing else to boast.
For though wealth and fame I’d gather, all my future would be sad,
If I failed to be successful as that little fellow’s dad.

I may never get earth’s glory; I may never gather gold,
Men may count me as a failure when my business life is told;
But if he who follows after is a Christian, I’ll be glad,
For I’ll know I’ve been successful as a little fellow’s dad.
            Copied

I first saw this poem about 15 years ago after my second son was born.  It was then I got down on my knees and asked God to help me be a Godly example for my sons.  Fifteen years later, my oldest son is now graduating from High School and my younger son is entering the tenth grade.  My, how time flies.  Yet my prayer is still the same.  More important than anything I accomplish as a Pastor or a Community Leader, I want to be successful as a dad.  More than anything else in this world, I want to pass on my faith and values to my sons in such a way that I know they will walk with God long after I am gone.

As we celebrate Father’s Day at Green Valley Baptist Church, I want to pray today for dads.  I want to pray that we will do everything in our power to live a Godly example for our children to follow.  For when all is said and done, there is no worldly success that is greater than being a successful dad.  May I encourage all of you who are “Dads” today to renew your commitment to Christ and ask God to help you live your life in such a way that your children will walk with God long after you are gone.

Be encouraged,

Pastor Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment